Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Hump Day Homework: Let's talk Carny...

This week's assignment: A visit to the carnival!

Read: Stephen King's Joyland 

read me
 
 First of all: Thank you Sam for picking this out for our bookclub!

The Story follows Devon Jones, a 21 year old college student and aspiring writer, who spends the summer of 1973 working and "wearing the fur" at Joyland, a small North Carolina amusement park with a dark history.  

I have to admit it took me a while to get into it. I started it under the assumption that it would be a thrilling mystery, and I read, and read, and read...  and as sweet as the story was, it  just wasn't very "thrilling". BUT once I let go of that assumption and started reading it as the heartfelt coming of age story that it is - I enjoyed it immensely. I might even go as far as saying that it is the best book I've read all year.

And how cool is the pulpy cover?


Watch: Adventureland


The trailer makes it look like an 80s version of Superbad, but this movie actually has a lot more depth than your average teen comedy. It's certainly not the best movie out there, but if you are looking  for a good time at an amusement park without leaving your home than Adventureland is the right address.


Listen to: Glastonbury 2013


Festival, carnival, close enough... 

By now all the highlights are available to watch on the official BBC site and the iPlayer, so don't waste any time! Go watch Mumford again!


Peace, Love, and Tiny Umbrellas in Your Drinks,
Laura

1 comment:

  1. I'm more than ok with watching Adventureland ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete