Sunday, November 9, 2014

A penny in a diamond mine

Style inspiration is a funny thing. Personally I would describe my style as very classic and preppy (and I own enough chambray shirts and  navy cable knit sweaters to prove it), yet I would never refer to the Blair Waldorfs and Sarah Vickers of the world as my fashion idols. Don't get me wrong, I love them but I believe that the best inspiration can be found outside one's comfort zone.

And for me that's in Alison Mosshart's closet:



She is the epitome of cool, has collaborated with fashion and music icons alike, and fronts not only one but two of my favorite bands (The Kills and The Dead Weather). Oh, and she was on to the whole leopard thing years before it even was a thing. 


Her look is simple: skinny jeans or leather pants, tattered tees and silk shirts, well worn boots, and great jackets (she seems to have an endless collection of vintage fur and leather jackets, with the occasional Burberry Prorsum trench thrown in for good measure).


pictures:1,2,3,4,5

My favorite thing about it is the way she mixes high-end pieces with thrift store finds. It looks so effortless, so easy and playful – which is exactly why her iconic look  is so hard to imitate. Still, that doesn't mean we can't at least try to take a couple of hints from Miss Mosshart.

The first and only rule is to wear what you love and to wear it all at once. It's all about finding your favorite pieces, and mixing them in unexpected ways: A simple hoodie under a vintage fur coat, a designer scarf with your rattiest shirt, or two crazy patterns at once.  Basically, the idea is to reach into your closet, pull out something random, and look amazing – and a touch of leopard never hurts (for me that means my favorite pair of riding boots).

via polyvore

Who's your biggest style inspiration?

Peace, Love, and Lobsters
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment