Friday, June 12, 2015

Two shows to binge watch this weekend

I've always been more of a TV than a movie person, especially during the summer when I actually have the time to sit down and watch TV without any distractions. And this year my two favorite summer-shows could not be more different, but both are damn good:


Aquarius (Thursdays on NBC):

Picture: NBC
A cop drama set in Los Angeles during the late 60s?  I was in love with this before I even saw the trailer, and once I did I started counting down the days to the premiere and proceeded to watch the entire season over a weekend (NBC released it all at once, Netflix Style).  But I have to admit that my initial reaction was disappointment, not because it wasn't great but because the promos promised Manson – lots of Manson. While Charles Manson is one aspect of the show, he is not the center of it,  but about four episodes in all that was forgotten, and I could just appreciate the show as the gripping and visually stunning drama that it is.  And then there's the soundtrack, which is flawless in case you were wondering. 


UnReal (Mondays on Lifetime):

Picture: Lifetime
I really did not think I would enjoy this one. While the premise of a drama about the drama behind the scenes of a Bachelor type reality show sounds like an interesting concept, it also sounds like a little too much drama for my taste. And on top of that, I've never seen an episode of the Bachelor (or any dating competition show for that matter), so why should I bother with a fictional look at one?  But I still gave it a chance, and I am so glad I did! Even if you don't like reality shows, or rather especially if you don't like them, you will love UnReal.  It's cynical, snarky, and way darker than I expected – in other words: perfect! You can watch the first 4 episodes online - but be warned it's super addictive.  

What's on your "watch list" this summer?

Peace, Love, and Lobsters
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment