Saturday, September 5, 2015

Fall Reading

I love this time of year, when it's still summer but the first Halloween decorations start popping up everywhere, and it's warm enough to sit outside but cool enough to need a sweater when you curl up with a good book on the patio....  

And talking of books, here are my current favorites:


 


Nerve by Jeanne Ryan"Hunger Games light" - that's how a friend described Nerve to me, and while the emphasis lies on light, I definitely got the Hunger Games vibe from it (minus all the dystopia).  Nerve follows Vee, a shy girl who enters in an multiplayer online game that promises the players amazing prizes for performing dares.  It starts off easy when Vee is challenged to pour water over herself in a crowded coffee shop, but before she knows it she finds herself playing for her own life. I was a bit torn about this, the first chapter had a weird vibe to it, and it took me a few chapters to get into it, but once I did I was hooked.  If you're looking for a quick and fun "bubblegum thriller", then Nerve is what you need.


The Undertaker's Daughter  by Kate MayfieldCan you imagine growing up in a funeral home? For Kate Mayfield this was the reality. In a voice that is reminiscent of Harper Lee's young Scout  Mayfield  writes about the ups and downs of being raised in a funeral home in Jubilee, Kentucky, during the nineteen sixtes and seventies  While The Undertaker's Daughter is definitely not the lightest read, it does not feel as heavy as the the load of serious topics it deals with. The book might not be for everyone, but if you like episodic memoirs that are a little on the odd side, you will  LOVE this.

Bag of Bones by Stephen KingI'm gonna be honest I only bought this because I really enjoyed the movie (in an "it's so utterly ridiculous it's awesome" kind of way), but now I'm so glad I did! It's classic Stephen King with very touching components, that make it sweet without compromising the scary side. If you enjoy a good haunted summer house story, with a number of shocking family secrets thrown in, then Bag of Bones if the book for you.  

What's on your reading list?


Peace, Love, and Lobsters
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment