Sunday, August 7, 2016

My Best Friend's Exorcism

Between the mind-blowingly awesome Stranger Things, and the less mind-blowing (but still kind of entertaining) Dead of Summer, I found myself craving even more 80s horror. So, I googled "horror novels set in the 80s" and found My Best Friend's Exorcism. 

The year is 1988, Abby and Gretchen have been best friends forever. Both are a little nerdy, love E.T., and the roller-rink…but all that changes after a little experimentation with LSD goes wrong and Gretchen begins to act strange. While it's not uncommon for childhood friends to drift apart in high school, Abby knows that this is something more…something terrifying.  And there is only one possible explanation: Gretchen in possessed.

Author Grady Hendrix has a unique talent to blend the heartwarming with the disturbing …and still make you laugh at the same time. My Best Friend's Excorcism is chilling, but not a straight up horror novel. It is heart-warning,  but not just another coming of age story. It's a high school drama, but not in the least bit juvenile. It is amusing, but never silly, and the result is a story that keeps surprising you on every page, because you never quite know which direction it will take next. And if that is not enough to win you over, the vivid setting–a Charlestown private school–and the colorful 80s references definitely will.


So just put on some 80's music, heat up some Eggos (Sorry, I had to),  
and read My Best Friend's Exorcism – you won't regret it.


Peace, Love, and Lobsters
Laura  

No comments:

Post a Comment